Steinkopf was established about 1817 by reverend Johann Heinrich Schmelen of the London Missionary Society. The mission station had its headquarters at the farm Bezondermeid about 6 kilometers from Steinkopf.
The name Steinkopf was given to it by Rev. Schmelen in honour of his german religious mentor in London.
The Headquarters was later moved to the farm of Kookfontein where Steinkopf currently lies.
The name Kookfontein was derived from the Nama name of the farm !huntas meaning “Kookfontein” in Afrikaans.